At the end of the 14th century, Restaurant Spaans Dak was known as Steenbergen manor and it was the residence on the estate of the same name. At the time, the area around the 'Zoet Water' lake was known as 'Nytterdelle', 'Vaalbeek in het Bos', and 'de Heerlijkheid van Steenbergen'. The central area of the building consists of the remains of a 14th century chapel.
In the subsequent two centuries, is was inhabited by the Van Wesele family of doctors from Leuven, Belgium, which also produced Andreas Vesalius (Martens 1989, Martens 2010), a fact of which visitors are informed by way of a commemorative plaque.
The building that houses Restaurant Spaans Dak began to take its current form in the 16th century but it wouldn't be completed until the 17th century.
The Arenberg family took ownership of the property in 1759 and from that time onwards, it was exclusively used as a hunting lodge. For a while, it carried the name 'la Montagne' and it served as a gamekeeper's home. Later it became the sexton's home before being transformed first into a café ('Spaans Dak' or 'Vieux Castel') and later into the restaurant it is today.